Saturday, November 24, 2007

It begins!

I'm happy to announce that I've successfully violated the rules of quantum mechanics and traveled forward in time! By crossing the international date line on my flight to Sydney, I skipped ahead in the space-time fabric by just less than a day. The effects of this phenomenon were surprisingly small. A little sleep deprivation and a small kink in the neck. Anyways, enough with the nerdiness. The flight went surprisingly well. I slept most of the time and we had a pleasant 1 hr stop-over in Honolulu. There was this awesome Japanese/Hawaiin zen garden in the middle of the airport and I spent most of the break stretching my legs there.

On the flight, I randomly met a friend from the Canadian national cycling team on my flight who was on her way to compete in a world cup track race going on in Sydney this coming Saturday. I was pretty stoked to hear this and am definately going to go cheer her and the other canucks on next weekend. The race is supposed to be huge, with teams coming in from all over the world. Wicked.

My aunt's brother Graeme and his wife Ann-Marie were nice enough to pick me and my bike up from the airport and give me a place to stay for the night. They and their son Chris have been great hosts so far, showing me around their town of Bankstown and giving me tips on getting around Sydney. Tomorrow, I'm taking a train into Sydney and am planning on staying a few nights at a hostel downtown. Adventures and pictures to follow.

Dave

4 Comments:

At November 25, 2007 at 12:03 PM , Blogger Mme Cameron said...

who was this random cycling team member?

 
At November 25, 2007 at 11:06 PM , Blogger Dan H said...

Good to know you haven't been abducted by kangaroos. I hear they can be quite vicious:

"The boy suffered facial wounds and cuts to his abdomen, back, and legs."

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/05/0506_050506_kangaroos.html

Dan.

 
At November 27, 2007 at 12:45 PM , Blogger Jess said...

Hey! So....I hear Roxby Downs is a real big tourist destination....

Ha...hope you are enjoying it!

Jess :)

PS - The toilets don't really flush any way...cause they have these water saving toilets

 
At December 9, 2007 at 9:32 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Looking forward to hearing some more news from you! You should know by now that your immediate family (the 24 of us) all are living our lives through the exciting time you youngins are having! Hope all is going well and you are sticking to the right side of the path.... or the left as the case may be.
Take care,
Robbie

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home